Hey guys the topic of what to take back packing sparks a lot of debate among gear nerds.
That’s all good, but if you want things simplified we have a checklist that can help you out.
Here’s the deal, no matter what you decide to take in your pack you always have to have the ten essentials those are:
- Navigation so compass map.
- Head lamp
- Sun protection
- First Aid Kit.
- Knife ( a multi-tool might work for you)
- Fire (waterproof matches or a lighter or whateve)
- Shelter (tent, tarp, hammock or bivy)
- Water Purification Filter
- Water Bottle
- Extra Food
- Bear Cannister (required in the national parks)
- Warm Clohing (jacket, vest, wool underwear, waterproof jacket, umbrella)
- Bear Spray (if you are concerned about bears or travelling in grizzly habitat)
- A trowel or shovel (to bury you know what)
- Toilet paper
- Sleeping Pad
- Sleeping Bag
- Cook Kit (small, lightweight titanium is best)
- Small towel for washing
- Small scrub sponge for cleaning
- Biodegradable soap
- Toiletries (hairbrush, chapstick,toothbrush/paste,deoderant)
- Camp shoes (I usually tie lightweight sneakers to my pack and bring along a pair of down booties as cold feet are the worst!)
- Solar Charger for phone/camera